This is located in the old Jewish quarter of the city, in what was once the private residence of a leading Samarkandi merchant, Abram Kalantarov. The building, which dates from the early 20th century, was designed by E. Nelle, a well-known architect of the day; the result is is an eclectic synthesis of European and Oriental decorative styles and amenities. It was beautified and given additional gloss in 1914, in anticipation of the visit of Tsar Nicholas II to Samarkand. The outbreak of war, followed by revolution and the overthrow of the monarchy intervened and the visit never happened. In the Soviet period, a valuable collection of Judaica ‒ books, manuscripts, scrolls, photographs, ritual objects and garments ‒ was assembled here. In 1981, this was turned into a public museum and additional items, not specifically relating to the Jewish community, were added to the collection. One of the most interesting sections is the set of early (c. 1914) wall posters.
Address: 51, A. Jomiy Str. Samarkand