Founded on the basis of the theatrical ensemble ‘Turon’, which in 1914 gave a public performance of the ground-breaking Uzbek play ‘The Patricide’ by Mahmud Khoja Behbudi (a Muslim reformist and founder of one of Turkestan’s first ‘new method’ schools). In 1929 the theatre was named ‘Hamza’, in honour of Hamza Hakimzade Niyazi, a leading Uzbek intellectual and political activist, who was killed that year by reactionary Muslim leaders in response to his anti-religious activities. Like Behbudi, Hamza was deeply committed to educational reform. In 2001, the theatre acquired its present name. The theatre is devoted to dramatic art; it has a wide repertoire of national and international plays; all the best Uzbek actors have performed here.
Address: 34 Alisher Navoi Street